Your Google My Business profile offers clients a powerful look at your business as a whole — it’s up to you to spotlight your strengths and make it easy for prospective clients to engage with you.
If you’re wondering how to optimize Google My Business, don’t worry! In this article, we’re going to cover why Google My Business is important and then give you 10 steps to Google My Business optimization.
Email marketing, websites, social media, and more.
Get started today with a FREE 60-day trial.
Learn more about our 60-day free online marketing trial.
Why Google My Business is important
Google My Business is an influential, and free, tool for connecting with customers. Searchers can access your Business Profile via Google search and maps. An optimized Business Profile is an essential element of any effective online marketing plan and is an important way to:
Engage with customers
Google handles roughly 3.8 million searches per minute. This is largely in part to the comprehensive information that a Google search reveals to the user. This provides you with a monumental opportunity to present the best of your business to visitors passing through Google to find information about you or your website. The goal is to start an interaction with potential leads.
Elevate your ranking
Google ranks your Business Profile via:
- Quality of information
- Relevance to the search at hand
- Proximity to the searcher
To leverage the Google algorithm for My Business rankings, you must optimize your Google Business Profile. This means more visibility, more engagement, and more business. Optimizing can even earn you a higher ranking on Google maps.
Convert leads into customers
A well-optimized Business Profile can help leads discover you via keywords, call you, visit your mobile-responsive website, learn more about your services and products, book an appointment, and more. Ultimately, these interactions elevate your chances of compelling leads to become loyal, paying customers.
10 steps to Google My Business optimization
Now that you understand the importance of optimizing your Business Profile, it’s time to elevate your business to new heights with your perfected My Business page. Here are Google My Business optimization best practices to help you get started:
1. Create a Google My Business account
First things first, you’ll need to learn how to create your Google Business Profile. Once you’ve registered for a profile from the My Business page with your Gmail account, you should populate it with the necessary information, which includes:
- Your business name
- Your address and hours
- Your business phone number
- Your website
- The category or attributes of your business
- The services or products your offer
- Questions and answers (Q&As)
After you’ve filled your profile with important information, you should continue to engage with posts, user-created reviews, and user-generated Q&As, which are live sections of your profile.
It may seem obvious, but contact info is often a stumbling block on Business Profiles. When populating your profile, double-check:
- Your business name. The name on your profile must match the name on your signage and logo. Do not try to add additional details like a location name or keywords, both of which can be flagged by Google as spam.
- Your address. Meticulously check your address listing. All abbreviations should be consistent across your website, social media presence, and more. The difference between “court” and “CT” may not seem significant, but it can cause your account to be flagged for inconsistencies.
- Your hours. Avoid negative reviews by posting carefully-checked hours. Customers are bound to be upset if they pay you a visit, and it turns out your business is closed! Make sure your hours are up-to-date on My Business. And don’t forget to indicate both regular and holiday hours — especially in a time when business hours are in flux.